Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Postby npauley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi all,
I am new to the forum. Not sure yet if Lyphedema is what I have or not, thought I would get some info. I need to go to the doctor still.

I had a baby May 1st this year and I'm in my mid 30's. A couple times since then, my feet have swelled and then gone back down. I thought maybe hormones or I ate something I shouldn't have. BUT for the last week and a half, both feet, ankles up into the calves have swollen and my skin has all of the sudden dried out too. I feel it in my knees when I try to bend. It gets steadily worse all day. Calves are tight by nighttime and my knees hurt. It goes down some during the night, but as it has progressed all week, the swelling goes down less and less overnight. My feet feel tight in the morning and by 10am my ankles start to swell. Almost a pins and needles sensation, like when you move a limb that has been asleep suddenly and lots of muscle spasms too.

I am by no means a little person, I could stand to loose 50lbs, but this doesn't seem like normal fluid retention to me. I expect to see normal fluid retention all over. Any ideas? Does it sound like the start of Lymphedema?
npauley

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Npauly,
Welcome ! I never heard of this swelling you are experiencing from childbirth but that doesn't mean it can't be lymph. You definately have to get checked out by your doctor. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
joanne johnson

Postby patoco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:16 am

Hi Npauley :)

Super welcome to our family here.

Just wanted to say that what you are describing does in fact sound very much like the beginning of lymphedema (especially the symptoms) and that sometimes it can start after pregnancy. There have been a number of women that have had that experience in our various groups.

The best thing you can do is to see if there might be a lymphedema therapist close to you that you can go to for an evaluation.

Look on the index to the left and click of Therapists. Go then to the link that says Schools of Therapy. That link connects you directly with the Find a Therapist sections of the major schools of lymphedema treatment.

You should be able to locate one near you.

The real key to effective management of lymphedema is to catch it ealy and begin a systematic programto manage it. Kudos to you that you were sharp enough to do some research and start finding answers this quickly.

Please don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns and just remember we are all here for you :!: :!: :wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby npauley » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks Pat. I called the doctor and they can't see me until tomorrow. I set it up for late afternoon so they can see how badly my legs and feet are swelling during the day.
I am going to take measurements tonight and tomorrow morning too, so they can compare. The thing that worries me is that I can poke the swelling and it is pitting.
I will let everyone know after my appt. tomorrow.

Thanks!
:)
Nancy
npauley

Return to Welcome Family